Monday, March 18, 2013

Interview with Missy Fleming, author of "Happily Never After"


 
 
Meet Missy Fleming, author of "Happily Never After,"
published by Fire & Ice YA
 
Missy, when did you first consider yourself a writer?
I am not entirely sure I have reached that point yet. The whole process of being published has been surreal, in a good way. My heart still trips up when I put my name into Amazon and it pops up a book I wrote. I think it will take awhile for me to consider myself a writer because I’m still in the ‘did that just happen?’ phase!
 
 
What do you do for fun and relaxation?
Surprisingly enough, I read. I love books. Otherwise, I pretend I’m an amateur photographer. I’ll drive up into the mountains and just start snapping pictures. It’s literally a five minute drive. I like traveling. I’m constantly exploring new parts of my state such as visiting ghost towns. There are the usual things to enjoy like movies and music and spending time with my family. And of course I daydream, which does relax me, to visualize that next chapter, what my characters are going to do next.
 
Do you think you’ll ever retire from writing?
Retire as in stopping? No. Even if I never publish another book I won’t stop. The stories I write are as much for me as they are for the public. How else would I get to experience what I do in the books? Writing keeps me sane which is funny as often as a grumble about it.
 
Where do you see yourself as a writer ten years in the future?
Successful, I hope. That’s the obvious answer. I also hope I have a following of dedicated fans, ones who remember the books long after they’re written and not the ‘flavor of the month’. If I still find contentment from writing, ten years from now, I’ll consider it a success.
 
What are you working on now?
I’m working on both the sequel to Happily Never After and a new adult dystopian.
Provide information about your current work in progress.
I don’t want to say much about the sequel because it will totally give away the ending! I’ll just say Quinn is in for the fight of her life, even more than in the first book. It’s taking me in a new direction as a writer, as far as where I’m coming from, her environment, so it’s a challenge…a good one.
 
The dystopian is a take on gargoyles, their mythology. Is it really something as simple as a figure carved in stone? What if they were more? It’s one of the darkest things I’ve ever written, but I love this story. It’s Beauty and the Beast in a post-apocalyptic world.
 
What do you hope to write in the future?
Who knows! I have a hard time sticking to one genre, one target audience. I mean, the next book I sell may very well be an adult romance or women ‘s fiction. I love the YA genre, but I tend to branch out, try different things. Still not sure if that’s good or bad but it keeps me from getting stale.
 
What can readers look for next from you?
The sequel for Happily Never After. I have made it my priority, but as a writer I tend to have a bit of A.D.D. What should I do about the idea bouncing around in my head for a YA western? Or should I finish that adult romance I have started? I need to hire a coach or drill sergeant.
 
Where can readers/fans see about you?
I’m in the process of finding a place to start a blog. I plan to post a ton of pictures and ramble on about things I hope people find interesting. I know it’s odd not to have a blog as an author these days, but I’m worried I’ll neglect it! Look for one soon though!
 
For now, you can visit Missy at www.facebook.com/missy.fleming.5
 
 



 
There's no such thing as happy endings.

Savannah, Georgia is rumored to be the most haunted place in America. Quinn Roberts knows it is. She's felt the presence of spirits her entire life, investigating and photographing them with her best friend. Only none of those encounters ever turned violent, until now. The menacing darkness feeding off her stepmother has promised she won't live to see her eighteenth birthday. After a chance meeting Quinn reluctantly allows actor Jason Preston into her life, which has complications of its own. She's not used to letting people get close. Falling for him while fighting for her life, and her family's legacy, only complicates things more. Jason shows her exactly what she stands to lose, especially when she's being attacked by the mysterious entity. Each attack is more violent and terrifying than the last.
With Jason's help, she dives into the Roberts' family history, searching for a link between a woman who went missing a hundred and fifty years ago and what's happening now. What they find is a brutal murder and that the ghost doesn't just want to hurt Quinn, it wants revenge.
It wants her life.
 

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Great interview!

The Gargoyle book sounds intriguing. I would love to read that!

J Kat Bisker said...

Interesting interview. I look forward to reading Missy's work. It sounds like a great read.